OSMR® Liquefaction Technology
LNG Technology Pty Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of LNGL, designed and patented the optimized single mixed refrigerant (OSMR® liquefaction technology) process. OSMR® liquefaction technology is a low cost, highly efficient, environmentally friendly, robust and low risk technology that has the potential to benefit many future LNG projects.
OSMR® liquefaction technology process combines several well-proven, existing technologies into one integrated system. Integration of these primary components comprise the core liquefaction process resulting in a plant with the industry's lowest full cycle cost, and a considerably more efficient design arrangement that generates lower emissions and improved project economics.
The following primary components comprise the core liquefaction process:
- The single mixed refrigerant (SMR) liquefaction process is at the heart of the OSMR® liquefaction technology process, which optimizes the SMR process with ammonia pre-cooling
- Use of ammonia as a pre-cooling refrigerant, having superior refrigeration properties to propane, allows for smaller condensers, exchangers, and general plant size
- Gas turbine waste heat steam generation (combined cycle providing motive power to the ammonia refrigeration system)
- A closed loop ammonia refrigeration circuit, driven by steam recovered from waste heat mentioned above, pre-cools the mixed refrigerant and directly cools inlet air to the gas turbines
- Highly efficient and reliable aero-derivative gas turbines
These technologies, applied and proven in other industries, integrate within the OSMR® liquefaction technology process to generate performance improvements. The OSMR® liquefaction technology results in a reliable LNG plant that is relatively simple to design, construct, operate and maintain.
For more details click here for paper on "OSMR® Liquefaction Process for LNG Projects"; and here for an article on how this technology optimises the LNG process.
2017 IChemE Award
Mid-Scale LNG – Solving the Value Puzzle, LNG Industry Magazine
LNG18 Perth Conference Paper
OSMR® Liquefaction Process for LNG Projects (October 2015)
Optimising the LNG Process